Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Mustache


I made a lot of new friends on Sunday, thanks to my mustache. So I have been growing my beard. It's a funny story actually. Every time I shave I swear that I won't grow my beard again, because it is itchy and I don't like how it looks with my long hair. But somehow it makes its return, slowly but surely.

Anyways, my mustache. I shaved off my beard and unveiled the mustache. I wish I got a good picture of it. The only picture I got was right before I shaved it off. And I had just got back from playing basketball with some of my classmates. In addition, I had a big shadow around my mustache. Conditions were not perfect.

Anyways, my mustache. So on Sunday, I walked into the chapel and instantly got some weird glances. I'm sure some people hated it (hey I'm not crazy about it either), but what was funny was the amount of guys coming up to me saying things like "Man, I wish I could grow a mustache like that" or "Man, my wife would never let me grow a mustache. Your wife is cool" or "I couldn't stop smiling in church, just thinking about your mustache."

Trust me... my mustache was nothing to boast about. It looked ridiculous... and yet sometimes I liked it. But overall, it wasn't me.. and it didn't look good. I didn't look like Brad Pitt, as I hoped for (I think it is because my figure is more chiseled. Arg! If only I was less chiseled).

So the mustache experiment was a success. By the way, I found the photo above trying to find a cool looking picture of a baseball player with a mustache. Thus I happenstance fell upon the Library of Congress collection of "really old" baseball cards. The pictures are really, really fun to look at.

4 comments:

Marge Bjork said...

note taken: next time I feel like a loner I will grow a mustache and have insta-friends. phew, the social awkwardness you just saved me.

Anonymous said...

I think the mustache looks the best when it looks really bad. I love mustaches.

Laquina said...

That baseball card looks more like an advertisement in the back of a paper for a male gigolo or, magigolo. He looks ferocious in a good way.

When you grow the new mustache I will dutifully trim it for you again like a good wife and then we will take a picture of you in that exact same pose.

Morgan said...

Rich the power of the stache is amazing, i have felt it myself, every dude loves it and every girl throws up a little in their mouth when they see you.