Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Irrelevant

It is hard to think of something more irrelevant than the Grammy Awards. Have I been under a rock this whole year? But I did not even know Kid Rock put out an album or was even alive, and yet he is nominated for "Best Male Pop Vocal Performance".

At the same time I am not complaining. Music thrives in the underground. It is more cultural. It is fashion and style. It is fads and trends. You can't award this type of stuff. The record of the year was awarded to Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, but I promise you the work of even a small group like YACHT (basically a guy and a girl rapping over computer made music) will be more influential than this Grammy winner.

So, basically the Grammy awards still intrigue me, only because I have no idea how they even choose nominees. I see no rhyme, and no reason. It is a waste of a good night of television.

4 comments:

Whits said...

Did you see my tweet yesterday? I thought it was pretty clever re: the grammys while incorporating a pop culture reference

rich said...

Yes! Your twitter inspired me to write something and I thought, "Why not just write a quick blog note."

tara said...

I love the Grammys! Sure, it's probably all political and small talented no-names never get a nod - but there is usually some ridiculous outburst or fashion disaster that makes it all worth it.

PS - I'm glad Krauss and Plant got an award. There album is strange and yet works.

Marge Bjork said...

Does anyone else hear the name "Kid Rock" and just start laughing?