Monday, September 29, 2008

You like... karaoke!?

Karaoke started at some unknown moment in Japan and started to reach American shores in the 1970s, although karaoke did not become very popular until the 90s. Karaoke is fun. I like Karaoke. I was on a bus last week going to a beach pretty close by and I saw some Japanese tourists. They were asking some people where this one landmark was and I told them "I'm going near there, I'll help you." I started talking to them all and then I had this wonderful picture in my mind.... Them, me.....karaoke.
They were struggling with English but we were having a nice conversation anyway and the whole time I was thinking, "how can I make this happen...?" I had a good idea, so I asked them what they did for fun in Japan. They said, "ohhh sopping, par, peach...", and I hinted "kara...", "ooh, karaoke!" Awesome! Then I was thinking of a way to get them all in a karaoke bar with me. I found out they were leaving tomorrow morning so this had to go down soon! We continued talking about karaoke and how much we enjoyed it. Then I asked if they wanted to do karaoke tonight!.... And they all giggled and said they couldn't. Next time...

3 comments:

Marge Bjork said...

oh no! stephen, your dream almost came true!!

tara said...

You should begin Hawaii's Next Karaoke Idol. Because I think karaoke is a true talent of yours.

Stephen said...

That's the best compliment I've got all year, and I'm not disappointed by that.