Thursday, August 14, 2008

Wait, wait, wait... you want me to find the superior PUBIC ramus?


Today was a good day. I got feel a man's testicles and a woman's breast. Oh wait, I forgot to say they were manufactured objects to help us, the medical students, learn how to feel in the diagnosis process. Needless to say this provides a good introduction to my amazing day.

Now as a doctor, you are going to have to feel up a lot of people, and be looking at a lot of niddly bits. So, as was explained today in medical skills, the instructor bluntly said "In a way, we are here to desensitize you, so when you ask to check the sexual organs of a man or woman, you can do so confidently."

The mere fact that I call them niddly bits shows me that I'm ready.

Another thing we did today was feel up each other in class. Okay, I mean find focal points on the body that allow you to base looking for bones, muscles and stuff on the body. For example, go from the mastoid process, down to the styloid process, to the back of the neck and you find your C2 vertabae.

However the highlight, is that the right word, of today was getting dangerously close to my lab partner's manly bits when the doctor told us to move our hand down from the navel to the superior PUBIC ramus. I don't know if you want to find this on yourself, but if you move your fingers down from your navel you'll find a ridge (before you get to your privates) that helps you get familiar with the pelvic bones. Did you feel it on yourself? Probably not, let me tell you... way way way low. I mean talking to the bishop low if this was done in a non-medical setting.

And then. my lab partner had to find... the ridge. on. me. In all actuality though, today was really fun. It's nice to be surrounded by a bunch of dedicated students who actually want to learn... and touch each other. Did I mention I also had to find the sacrum (way down on the butt) of my lab partner too?

3 comments:

Mike Lau said...

The mere fact that you call them that tells me you're not ready.

Morgan said...

weiners and boobies......He he he he he

Jeff said...

i just got in tonight from ROM, couldn't sleep and thought i would check out the blog. result: i'm really depressed i have to find new roommates.
i'll talk to you soon.