Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Do you like rock music? You are welcome

First of all, big shout out to Chris Florence! I freaking L-O-V-E-D your muxtape. I ended up downloading albums from Ghostland Observatory and Headlights. Both bands immediately caught my attention, and I have been thoroughly enjoying them. I have updated my muxtape, and I have filled up the maximum 12 slots with works of genius! So check it out at richrich.muxtape.com. Let me tell you a little about it:

Man, it is so good. As many of you know, I can not stop listening to Vampire Weekend. When I listen to them, I envision myself writing/playing those songs. I feel like they are mine. The lyrics are intelligent and witty and the music leaves you humming. I used to have the track "Bryn" on my muxtape but I changed it to "Walcott". If that song doesn't instantly get your heart racing... then you are dead. Next! Check out British Sea Power. For them, I put their soaring first single off of "Do You Like Rock Music?". It is titled "Waving Flags". Do you sense a little Arcade Fire? Good, because Arcade's Win Butler had a hand in the production. British Sea Power has been around for a long time but this is the freshest thing they have ever put out. This track in particular could fill a stadium and stop all wars in the world because everyone would stop and listen in awe, and bow to sheer genius. Another track I recently uploaded was Ladytron's new single "Ghosts". Ladytron formed in 1998 but already their catalogue is hard to search through. They have a devout following but their music is noisy and very inaccessible and thus a new listener to their music, like myself, will find it hard to think "Hmm, this band is good." However, "Ghosts" is a hard hitting melodic electronic foot stomper. I love the heavy bass line. It reminds me of "Death From Above 1979": a band that is awesome to listen to when you just need noise.

So there you have it. I hope you guys find something you like because music is awesome. Also, I am dying to hear some other muxtapes! I listened to Chris's like 8 times over at work, and I am dying to hear what everyone else is listening to.

Now to explain the pictures. These were pictures I took at the Dallas Museum of Art. On the top is Japanese artist named On Kawara. For more than four decades, acording to DMoA website "On Kawara has created paintings, drawings, and books that mark time in various ways, from paintings of individual dates to mailed postcards to diagrams and charts of weeks and months." The second picture is from the De Stijl movement's most famous: Piet Mondrian.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dallas is pretty cool.

Anonymous said...

T-mobile is revamping its pictures website. So some of the pictures in earlier posts are not working. Hopefully they will later.

Mike Lau said...

Whitney's niece had a birthday party at color me mine and me and Whitney tried to paint mugs like a Piet Mondrian painting. We haven't seen the finished product but hopefully they turned out pretty cool. Oh and I finished my muxtape. mixtapemike.muxtape.com

CFlo said...

I have updated my mix and have added 7 more songs to the existing 5.

cfloaudio.muxtape.com

rich said...

Ah ya! Mike Sweet tracks. I loved Sea Wolf and the Phoenix. "One Time Too Many" is a song I have passed by until now. It is awesome.

Chris! I totally forgot about Chromeo. I heard them before but forgot their name, and have been searching for them without knowing their name. That is awesome that I have finally found them again. They are awesome!

Whits said...

Rich. I take issue with coldplay being right next to cut copy. If you must include a chris martin ballad on your mix, please move it.

:D

rich said...

Nice. I know, I debated Coldplay because you are right. Unlike Cut Copy, they lack the newness and "cool" value beccause and idiot drinking Starbucks coffee will tell you how mucht hey like Coldplay. However, I can't dent how much I like that single.

rich said...

dent = deny

rich said...

Whit! I replaced Coldplay with some brilliant Canadian music from (single tear) Alberta. Check it out!