Monday, March 3, 2008

New Caledonia don't need no leap year!

I have a calendar of New Caledonia that a family over there sent me awhile back hanging up in my room. Its really a beautiful calendar with lots of nice pictures of the island in it. I enjoy it a lot, yet I started to suspect a little problem with it when everyone started talking about leap year. I didn't remember seeing any 29th of February on the calendar... Then I started getting leap year party invitations and I honestly thought that people were going to pretend a leap year or something because checking again on my New Caledonia calendar, there was no 29th day. Another suspicious thing happened, a friend of mine and I bought tickets to a Vampire Weekend concert on March 31st and I looked on my calendar after purchasing them and then said to him the next day, "ah dude, that's a Sunday." And he then told me that it was definitely a Monday so then I just thought I must've made a mistake. After getting home that day, I checked the calendar again and saw that it definitely was a Sunday, I knew it! "Something queer is going on in the world", I thought. I went on the internet to look at some calendars and then on my phone. After further investigation, I came to the conclusion that yes, leap year was this year and yes, March 31st is a Monday. My calendar was wrong! When I realized that, it was like exiting an alternate dimension! It was pretty ace, and the sad thing is that I only realized this after leap year day. The 29th passed me by without me even knowing it. Crazy... However, this is just another great reason that I love New Caledonia. It doesn't matter what day it is. And as the saying goes in New Cal, casse pas la tĂȘte...

No comments: