Monday, November 5, 2007

You're All Robots Out To Get Me

I recently had a conversation with my brother Stephen that went something like this. When I was a kid I thought whenever I closed my eyes every other human being turned into a robot. And each of you moved extremely slowly on a mission to strangle me.

How did such a conversation come up? Well, I've been studying the philosopher Descartes recently and he of course famously said "I think, therefore I am". What does this mean, you ask. It means that the only thing he could know for sure is that he could think. His body and the whole world around him could be an imagination of his mind or the creation of a devil.

Basically long story short, before I even knew about Descartes and even though I was super young, I was beginning to deconstruct the world around me. Long story, even shorter: I was a child genius. Even shorter: I'm on to all of you because I know you're robots out to get me, and guess what there's an inherent flaw in your system, once you start strangling me I'll probably open my eyes and you'll turn back into a regular human. So I'd hit the drawing board again, robots.

No comments: