Thursday, March 18, 2010

throw me the rock, i'm in the paint

Tomorrow, the real March Madness will begin... the Renton Stake Basketball Tournament brought to you by the LDS church. Is there anything greater than watching the elder's quorum president spew profanities while he simultaneously fellowships the non-member 6'7" ringers?

Nay. There is nothing greater.

I have a confession about my team. We haven't won a single game. We have come close... but close does not win games. At first I thought, maybe when we get our uniforms we'll play more like a team. Well we got our uniforms, and I think it certainly helped us become a team (i.e. recognize each other on the court)... but the only sizes we got were XL, XXL, XXXL and... wait for it... XXXXL.

Needless to say, on a team where the average height is 5'8", we look like where are playing dress up in Daddy's clothes.

So what we are going in winless? That just means our win will be that much more awesome. Hopefully we are not playing the team with the median age of 45... because daaaaaang they know the fundamentals. The pick and roll so much it is like an ballet.

Hopefully we are not playing the team that has 5 awesome players and 5 bad players. I call that our accordion game. The awesome 5 would go in and they would be ahead by 15. Second string comes in, we close the gap to 3 points. First string in, 15 points. Second string in, 3 points.

Hopefully we are not playing the team with that ultimate two-face douche. You know the guy. He's swearing it up. Getting angry when you call fouls on him. BUT then after the game he's acting like your buddy, and complimenting you on specific moments in the game where you did particularly well. Little does he know... I KNOW I'm already totally awesome.

So throw me the rock. I am about to own this game!

P.S. I might even unveil something I haven't busted out since Junior High... the two hand slap-backboard lay up (Stephen will understand this).

3 comments:

R Smith said...

The two hander is a marked improvement over the lack-luster one hand back board lay-up slap.

good luck Richard!

Marge Bjork said...

hahahahahahah accordion haha...oh good luck!!

Miss C. said...

Too bad you lost, oh church ball what a sacred sacred game.
-Becca C.