Thursday, November 19, 2009

explaining how to throw up

I was talking to my brother Stephen tonight. We ended up talking a bit about what I'm learning in school right now. I'm learning how we vomit.

It's actually a pretty complicated process with a lot of neural control. Just think of process of how we get food down. It's not like food we eat instantly gets to our stomach. Via peristalsis our food is gradually moved down to the stomach by our autonomic nervous system. Now think of throwing up. Our stomach contents travel that distance pretty quickly thanks to powerful abdominal contractions and relaxation of sphincters along our esophagus (among other factors).

Then we started telling throw up stories.

Man, telling throw up stories is so high up on my list of awesome conversation. I won't divulge the details, but my best throw up story revolves around going to Costco, buying a box of Wunderbars, and eating half the box (at least) in a period of a few hours.

I will only divulge the whole story in person... without any recording devices.

//Here are some songs//
The Hidden Cameras "In the NA"
Surfer Blood "Swim"
The Big Pink "Dominos"
My Morning Jacket "One Big Holiday"

3 comments:

Stephen said...

Vvv-undaba!! There should be a warning on the box - Eating half of this box in only a matter of hours may result in throw up.

Carina said...

Having been pregnant, I have got some awesome vomit stories.

(Also can only be told in person.)

Jeff said...

there's a reason why we have over fifty different words to describe the act of vomiting. it's almost an out of body experience.

throw up, spew, blow chunks, ralph, up-chuck, hurl, lose your lunch, the list goes on.