Sunday, November 8, 2009

dream world of magic

A few weeks ago, Mo and Josh were out here in Seattle for a family wedding. One night we were hanging out with them and Mo's family. A deep conversation of movies took place. It turned out. I had seen none of them. I chimed in my two cents, "Um, the Godfather was a good movie." That's like saying, "Hamburgers are pretty good."

It was then that I questioned myself... do I really LOVE movies?

For years, I have been putting "Movies" as one of my interests on blog biographies, Facebook profiles, and "About Me" sections at job training sessions.

All lies.

Because I don't think the word "love" should be taken lightly. For example, if you love music... I think it requires some dedication. You just can't wait for people to make you mixes, you have to make them your self. You have to find the music your self. You have to boldly declare "I like this", despite what anyone else says. And I don't mean you have to like some obscure artist. If you truly adore, and anticipate every release from Beyonce: awesome. However, if you like Nickelback... well you just don't deserve to have functioning ears.

But back to my main point. I don't love movies. Proof! If I ranked the Star Wars movies in order of me liking them, it would look like this: V, III, IV, I, VI, then II. That's not the list of somebody who loves movies! It should read: V, IV, VI and then the other ones shouldn't even be mentioned.

So I've downgraded my status. I "like" movies. I still want to hear about all your movie recommendations. But sadly, I don't have anything to offer you... except this: The newest Rambo movie that came out a couple years ago is the best movie of the decade.

Phenomenal Hand Clap Band "5 10 15 20"
Doves "Winter Hill"
Surfers Blood "Take it Easy"
Speech Debelle "Spinnin'"
Visqueen "Ward"
The Lonely Forest "We Sing in Time"
Langhorne Slim "Say Yes"
Grand Hallway "Raindrops"

4 comments:

Stephen said...

I remember we almost exploded because of action overload watching Rambo! Best. Movie. of. all. time. ever. action. packed. rambo.

Marge Bjork said...

Well, I'm a film major and I would say I LOVE movies but I hardly ever watch movies. But my feeling towards the movies I do watch and studying film history is only definable as LOVE. as love which does not alter when it alteration finds.

Jeff said...

I LOVE movies.

And Rambo. Seriously? I remember that night you rented it--I left after the land mine field scene and didn't look back.

Anonymous said...

haha rich this made me laugh a lot. Especially because I just demanded that Jeff erase the nickelback from his computer. haha!! But he's a movie lover so we'll let it slide.