Wednesday, March 11, 2009

St. Bernardine: Patron of Compulsive Gambling


In lecture today, a professor was teaching about Pneumonia and referred back to the black plague. On his powerpoint slide was a picture of St Chad, the patron saint of plague. That got me thinking... how awesome is it that there are saints for pretty much every aspect of life.

Okay, okay... I don't believe in praying to saints BUT I'll be honest I find the idea of saints pretty nice. For example, pictured above is St Cosmas and Damian, the patron saints of physicians. It makes me feel like I am part of a group, or like having an inside man who can talk to God for me. Although I know I can speak directly with God and he is directly part of my team, it's nice to have some iconography that I can look at.

Was this post blasphemous?

3 comments:

Laquina said...

I am not the right person to ask that...

Marge Bjork said...

there is a season for everything. Amen to blasphemy.

Actually, I vote you didn't blasphamasize.

tara said...

Since when do we not pray to saints in our religion?