Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Power deodorant and the Great Aloha Run

Power. What does power smell like? According to deodorant makers, power smells like awesome. Why did I buy it? Because it was the cheapest one. Ideally, I would like to purchase no-smell deodorant. Side story that happened in Victoria during my month long construction work escapade. My brother Jacob and I were eating at a family's house from the local ward and the conversation turned to odors. They were talking about how there was a lady in the ward that was really sensitive to odors and how she had really bad reactions around perfume and strong-smelling deodorant. Then the tone got pretty serious and someone said, "Well, the odor industry is a dying industry anyway. Pretty soon everything will be odorless." Then everyone nodded their heads looking shamefully at their plates. Really? I had my doubts, but then I saw a commercial a couple days later about a new Nivea deodorant that was... odorless. If you have any stocks in the odor industry, please sell. End side story.

So anyways, my deodorant purchase. I really like this deodorant. I often smell my armpits when I'm sitting at my desk in the library and even sometimes while on my bike waiting for a green light. I had a chance to really use my deodorant yesterday during the Great Aloha Run, which leads to another story.

I was doing the Great Aloha Run (an 8 mile run for cancer I think, or maybe it was TBA), and right after starting I heard this mother speaking to her son who was running behind my little group. She said, "just follow the big guy the whole way." I thought, oh man, I don't think this kid will be able to follow me for 8 miles. To my humble surprise he stayed behind me! His little legs were sprinting the whole 8 miles! And this is the more impressive part of the story. When there was a little under a mile left, he started sprinting! His mom asked me to follow him and keep him in my sight. So I ended up sprinting after him and we sprinted side by side the whole way right across the finish line! I almost threw up, but the kid was so happy! He was just smiling and jumping up and down giving me high fives while I tried not to puke all over him.

By the way, I didn't puke. I actually chowed down 3 packs of donuts, 4 bananas, and 5 energy bars at the free food station several minutes after finishing. I gotta get my money's worth.

4 comments:

Mike Lau said...

I'm glad to hear you didn't puke all over the kid and second I can't wait to smell your "power" deodorant when we come out to the islands.

rich said...

Oh my goodness! I almost laughed out loud (aka lol) in lecture as I was reading this. This is so funny Stephen.

My favourite deodorant is Old Spice. I like getting the classic smell, ORIGINAL formula. But this odorless one sounds interesting.

Marge Bjork said...

is the TBA for tuberculosis or were you running for unidentified charity events?

Anonymous said...

Stephen!! Oh how I've missed you. This had me in stitches. Umm I love the part about The Odor Industry conversation. Enorme quoi! J'ai trop kiffé. And about the moments of sniffing the armpit. Love it. serious. Thank you.