Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Free Breakfast = I Love American Drug Companies


So I woke up at 6:45 this morning, but as Stephen well knows I love me my snooze button. So after hitting it twice I got out of bed, showered, got dressed and stuff and rushed out the door grabbing a granola bar for sustenance. This is sad, however, because still fresh in my mind was the article I read in Reader's Digest concerning breakfast and its benefits towards weight loss and health.

So I rushed up stairs to my class, when I saw someone carrying a plate a eggs, bacon, sausage, and a bagel. I was like "Oh man, where did you get that?". She replied, "A drug company is providing breakfast." My first thought's were, okay what is the catch. But that was it, they were just giving out breakfast... and papclips... and mugs.

As much as a I hate the windfall profits of drug company CEOs, and and direct to consumer advertising... I was surprised at how easily my beliefs can be curtailed by free breakfast: "Money laundering... I don't know isn't that wrong... wait there's free breakfast! Well, I'll check it out." "Genocide... I don't know many of my ancestors... wait there is free breakfast! Well I guess it depends who you 'cide'."

4 comments:

tara said...

My sentiments exactly Ricahrd. My setiments exactly.

Marge Bjork said...

when you're practicing you can tell your patients, "I recommend this drug because this company fed me bagels."

rich said...

And I will probably say that as I am chomping down on a delicious poppy seed. "Oops some of the poppy dropped in your urine. That's not good for your test"

Stephen said...

It's kind of the same thing at law school except with lunch. "Join the gay and lesbian society?... I don't know I'm not... Free lunch? I'll join." Or "Filipino society? Well, I'm not even... Free lunch? I'm actually 1/8 filipino."