Thursday, October 23, 2008

It stirreth deep within me

Listen to this singer from Portugal. Her name is Amalia Rodrigues and she is singing a style of music called "fado." Rarely have I heard anyone sing with this much passion, and it touches the soul! It's like when you listen to Stevie Wonder or Marvin Gaye and you start moving your head along with the music like a jazz trumpet player.


Another singer I enjoy listening to is Miriam Makeba from South Africa. I found out about her when Sam brought over some records he got for free from the BYU library. I put her record on and I was captivated. She has a powerful, yet playful, voice.

5 comments:

Marge Bjork said...

too bad I don't understand portuguese or I could find out all the gritty details about the harlequin man on the ship.

rich said...

Ummm... did you get playful and captivating from the stuff the record company wrote on the back of the record to describe their newly found singer.

Anonymous said...

I agree Emma, maybe mike can tell us.. I actually didn't rich, but maybe this could lead to a future career?

Missy Johnson said...

Stephen I knew you wrote this post before I saw that you did. If that makes any sense.

Britt said...

Stephen- I so miss hearing about all of your new music!!!!! Alison and I need to get out to Hawaii soon :)