Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Summer of Mike!


I know I know, it's a shock that there is a post on the replacement friends that isn't posted by Richard.  By the way I must say way to go Rich on keeping it going.  The past two months I just haven't really had the desire to post about anything.  Tonight though I was reading Tara's blog and I started thinking about my summer.  Beside the whole me getting engaged,  traveling all over the country and having all this fun with Whitney, my summer has been a drag.  

But Mike how can it be a drag you ask? The weekend have been amazing when I get to visit Whitney or when she comes up and visits me but it's the rest of the week that has been a bummer.  The five other days of the week I sit at my desk going over data that I have collected from the lab.  It's depressing especially since it's so beautiful outside.  I don't care what anybody says about Seattle pride and blah blah blah but truly there is no better place than Seattle in the summer.  And I feel like I'm missing it.  To make matters worse I got a taste of what it could have been, Whitney came up for the 4th and stayed the whole next week and we had a blast even though I still had to work.  The long distance thing really sucks and it really makes those five other days even more lame. 

The worst part about it is I'm coming off of one of the greatest summers I've ever had.  I might even call last summer the "Summer of Mike."  Seriously last summer consisted of me going to the pool everyday (my tan was amazing last year),  playing catch with Chad almost everyday, playing intramural softball,  going out to eat,  camping,  movie nights on the back deck,  slip n' slide, fried chicken and watermelon, many games of scrabble, golf tons and tons of golf,  living with just Chad as a roommate (our apt was the cleanest, probably cleaner than most girls apts).  The list goes on and on.  I really can't remember a summer where I had more fun everyday and that's including the kidney stone I had.  

The moral of the story is though, work ends for me on Friday and that gives me about one month to try and top last summer. It's going to be hard but me and Whitney have some fun stuff coming up (also if you haven't heard yet we pushed our wedding back till October).  We have Radiohead coming up which I'm so excited for,  we have a trip to UT to send my brother Jon off on his mission,  and Whitney will probably come up here for a couple weeks in Aug as well.  The one down side is I have to study for the MCAT but I think I can make it work still.  

In response to Tara's last post I'm going to make some of my own summertime resolutions to help me try and match the Summer of Mike so here they are:

1. No waking up before 9 unless I really have to.

2. Get some color.  I know that most of you will say... But Mike you are naturally dark already.  It may be true but by Mike Lau standards I'm pretty white.

3. Read more books.  Last summer by this time I had read probably about 20ish books.  It helped that I was going to the pool everyday.  Right now I'm probably around 10ish.  I need to pick up my game.

4. Listen to more records.  In about half a year I've amassed a pretty decent record collection.  I started out with 4 around Christmas and now I easily have over 40.  The problem is I'm never home to listen to them.  

5.  More M's games.  I've been here this whole summer and I've only been to 3 games.  Last summer I was only home for three weeks and I went to 3 games.  

I still have to work in studying for the MCAT but now that my job is over I'll have more time for that and all this other stuff and hopefully make up for all this lost time.  

3 comments:

tara said...

Yay Michael Yay! It's about time you revisited TRF. I like your resolutions. I think I will also celebrate the Summer of Mike.

rich said...

Mike! Didn't your last summer of fun include the MCAT as well? I'm sure it won't ruin this summer. Besides you practically have an endless summer since you won't be going back to school right away.

I'm going to repeat my one piece of advice for the MCAT. I found that just pouring over the Kaplan books helped. So maybe include those beasts in your summer reading.

Ally Cat said...

Oh Mike, I miss the pool days too. I may go out on a limb here and say last summer was the "Summer of Ally." It really was a good one. Growing up sucks a little. But hey, at least you found love. Good luck on the studying.