Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Lauless, now Woodless

The loss of Mike, first for his Dexter job in Seattle and now more permanently to the blissful shackles of marriage, required a certain acclimatization. The Arrested Development quotes tapered off, the movie selection dwindled, and I got used to bottling up my frustrations in the recesses of my conscience, instead of wailing them out to the melodic blues chord progressions of his guitar. Now, with Stephen and Rich in Arizona this week, stimulating discussion of social injustices, the scent of curry and steaming rice, speaking French, the yearning for sporadic adventure, and the incessant playing of quality music have ceased.

I feel like a hermit crab, alone in this basement shell.

Wallowing in my solitude, I found a quote by Dag Hammarskjold, the Swedish Attorney General of the UN: "Pray that your loneliness may spur you into finding something to live for, great enough to die for." Well, the only thing I have going on right now is studying for the LSAT in June. And my Physical Science class, I guess. How depressing is that? Thanks a lot, Dag. What's worse, the Swede was killed in a plane crash that may or may not have been an accident linked to the CIA.

In writing, I realize that that this plane is going down too. The Woods will both be headed off to bigger and better things this coming fall, and here, in Provo, will I remain. I might even be going back to the French House...

SOS.

3 comments:

tara said...

Jeff if I had a violin I would play you a sad-themed melody. I almost wept. And then I remembered that I am living alone, and I no longer feel that bad for you.

rich said...

Ah frick I wrote this whole long comment about the post being funny and about how changes in life suck. Frick, frick, frick!

Missy Johnson said...

Jeff. I am still stuck in Provo. And I'm jealous you are even thinking about going back to the FLSR. Let's be friends. You can come paint in my studio.