Wednesday, September 23, 2009

radio

During Junior High, Stephen joined one of those music clubs where you get like 12 CDs for a dollar. And he's one of the few who dutifully followed the instructions from the records company to the absolute last period. He got 12 CDs for one penny + shipping/handling.

Among the Sheryl Crow, Marcy Playground, Hootie and the Blowfish, Counting Crows, and Joan Osborne... Stephen managed to order both Radiohead's "The Bends" and "OK Computer".

I remember listening to them the first time. I was confused. I was really into the Smashing Pumpkins at the time and I guess I was looking for straight ahead rockers like "Quiet" or "Bullet with Butterfly Wings".

And wait, before I lose you. I'm not saying Radiohead was revolutionary. All I'm saying is that after two listens, I probably went to sleep listening to Radiohead between Grade 9 and my freshmen year at BYU... every. single. night.

I know some of the people that read this blog experienced the same thing, right? What were your favourites? In the high fidelity tradition (corny lame), here are my top 5 (I have been sitting down by Lisha sharing this exact top 5):

1. Bulletproof... I wish I was
2. Nice Dreams
3. Let Down
4. No Surprises
5. Paranoid Android

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. i really do love High Fidelity, and along with listening to radiohead endlessly in high school, I also watched this movie in the same fashion.
2. I'm sorry, but i can't help it and I really do think Radiohead was revolutionary.

Top five (and this is extremely difficult, but right now at this moment here it is): Talk Show Host, All I Need, I Might be Wrong, Airbag, Everything in its Right Place

Mike Lau said...

Man this is a tough one...
1. Lucky
2. Paranoid Android
3. You and Whose Army
4. Subterranean Homesick Alien
5. Exit Music (For A Film)

honorable mentions: Optimistic, A Wolf at the Door, The Tourist, Nude, Fake Plastic Trees.

Morgan said...

rich no shout out to now thats what i call music?