Thursday, October 16, 2008

My Shredder Slammer is Lucky: The History of Pogs

Guess where pogs were invented? Hawai'i! This is how I found out. I first noticed a drink here called POG (Passion fruit, Orange, Guava). I then heard a story from a classmate that a man shot his brother-in-law over pogs. I was talking about that story at branch potluck last sunday with the EQP when he informed me that Pogs was founded in Hawai'i! It started with a math teacher on the north shore of O'ahu who would use the caps from the POG drink cartons in the '20s. It was brought back into popularity by none other than a Canadian games company. You can read the rest on wikipedia.

How did pogs ever become popular? What was it about pogs that attracted kids all over the world to embrace the simple game? Maybe it's just the urge inside of all of young children to gamble. That's why I loved pogs. I would even make 'trick' pogs by ripping off the colour side so both sides were white. That way, I would at least have one pog in play to insure victory. I had a shredder slammer too, it was like a ninja star, but it was a slammer.


5 comments:

rich said...

I still remember when I lost all my metal slammera in that one last blaze of pog glory to an Indian kid. I also remember trading kids steel washers because they thought it was some cool slammer with a hole I'm the middle of it.

Cindy said...

I was a POG master.

You Canadians sure know how to make life better.

And I'm glad Hawaii is teaching you so much.

I miss you.

Stephen said...

Rich, I remember those washers! That was hilarious. I miss you too Cindy! BFF 4eva

Morgan said...

Pogs are perhaps one of the greatest games ever! It has been my goal to bring them back! Viva La Pogs! and 8ball slammers are the bomb!

irene said...

stephen how dare you question the reason behind the popularity of pogs. why wouldn't pogs be popular?? at least pogs never got banned from my school.