Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I'm waiting...for something to come through...

I'm at it once again. I thought I got over this habit a while ago but apparently not. What is this habit you might ask? PROCRASTINATION! Yes yes folks I've been a procrastinator since the day I was born. I've had the past couple of months to work on my capstone project and yet here I am with a week until graduation and I'm still working on my first draft! I can't blame it totally on procrastination though, seeing that my mind and time has been somewhat occupied by a certain lady. I don't know why I do this to myself over and over again. Well on second thought I do. 

I'm going to let you in on my thought process that always puts me back in the same place of cramming to get stuff done. Usually when I get something I have to do, especially if it's not due for awhile, I always think to myself I should get a head start so I won't be doing this at the last second. The thing is when I get a free second to work on it I say to myself "Well I could work on this but...I have plenty of time to get it done and I'd rather go do something else." So I put it off and go do something else. 

As the deadline approaches though I force myself to start on whatever it is. The problem is a couple of mins into whatever it is I usually start thinking in my head "Oh I could be getting so much more done if I was at (insert whatever location I'm not at) instead." So I usually go to that place  and say the same thing there. So once again it gets put off again. 

When it comes down even closer to the deadline I get more done but I get stuck on little things in whatever I'm doing. Let's say it's a paper... I will say to myself "I just need to get this section done before I can move on but... I really don't feel like working on this section. I'll just do it later and then I'll get the rest done." So as always nothing gets done. 

Finally I'm left with the bare minimum of time left to finish whatever it is, sometimes less. That's when I kick into overdrive and get everything done. I guess I just work better under pressure. So the moral of the story if you want me to get something done give it to me with as little time as possible. Oh yeah, also make sure I've taken my ADD medicine as well. 

2 comments:

rich said...

I bet you were procrastinating writing this as well

tara said...

Procrastination could come in handy as a doctor. "Come back in a few months and we'll see if its still cancerous." "Adult onset diabetes? Naw, I bet it's a fluke. Come back later and we'll check it out."

Ya I think it could work for you if you were in Cuba or something.