Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Money doesn't talk, it swears.

The above quote is Bob Dylan. My point is, is that I'm thinking about picking up swearing. I think I'll start off with "hell" and "damn", but from there I think I'm going to move on to new and greater things. Why you ask? Well in my Political Science class today my teacher said "Son of a Bleep" (Obviously I haven't moved that far yet). Except when he said it in front of 200 Freshmen, it wasn't offensive. It seemed like a regular piece of vernacular. In no way do I want to become a swear-type person, but it seems to me that this language can be used appropriately. It almost sounds dignified like saying: audacious, indubitably, or tendentious. Either way, what I'm saying is that possibly swearing has its place. This is my guideline:  1) A situation arises where you think a swear word might be appropriate 2) Think of an old chap in England fox hunting, and ask you self "Would that chap use a swear word in this instance?" 3) If the Englishman would swear, then swear. However, if he would alternatively use a word like "Blast" pronounced "Blah-st" than don't swear. I think this is a good guide. Hopefully soon we'll have a swearing party, but we need to do something frustrating so we have instances in where we can swear. Maybe something like talking about politics. Sounds lovely!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

1)obvious example of a time to swear: Little Miss Sunshine, Duane finds out he's colorblind.

2)you'd fit into the film program with this logic

3)I like lists apparently.

Two Ladies and No Baby said...

Dear Rich-
Oh bloody hell damn you bastard. I can't wait to talk politics with you.
-Girl who physical touch

Laquina said...

Gin and Juice usually brings out the best of my vocabulary

Whits said...

I swear when it's supposed to be funny. Like ask Mike about the one time we were in Target and I swore. We are still laughing about it today.
My brother and I also like to swear in front of Mormons, just to ease the tension, or make them more uncomfortable.